Sat, 24 Feb|
Winter Skills Course
Take your first step to enjoying the mountains in winter with our Winter Skills Course based out of Glen Coe.
Session Time & Location
24 Feb 2024, 09:00 – 25 Feb 2024, 17:00
Glencoe, Glencoe, Ballachulish
About the event
Take your first step to enjoying the mountains in winter with our 2 day winter skills course based in Glen Coe on the west coast of the Scottish Highlands.
Winter conditions can feel intimidating and perhaps overwhelming but with the right knowledge, skills and confidence a whole world of exhilarating and unique adventures await.
This course will equip you with all the skills to undertake winter mountain walks and build on your summer hill walking and mountaineering experience.
If you are looking for a more intensive course then our 5 Day Winter Skills Course would be ideal.
You'll gain confidence in a wide range of winter specific skills:
- How to choose what to wear & what winter kit to pack.
- Basic winter navigation.
- Fitting of crampons.
- Use of crampons such as "Kicking Steps"
- How to use a winter walking axe.
- Ice axe arrest practice.
- Avalanche report interpretation.
- Weather report interpretation.
- Planning a winter walking route.
- Using a smartphone & GPS.
- Be confident in the use of crampons and ice axe.
- Know what to wear and take for a winter walk.
- Understand winter weather & avalanche reports.
- Movement skills for steep ground.
- Emergency procedures.
- Have 2 great days out in the Scottish Mountains.
Experiene of summer hill walking or mountaineering is required.
Please contact us if you are unsure.
Equipment like crampons and axes can be borrowed from us with remaining kit available to hire from Ellis Bingham in Fort William.
For more information plesse see our Winter Mountaineering page.
Bespoke courses can also be arranged with your own instructor on dates to suit.
This course will be run by a qualified Winter Mountain Leader or higher.
Here is a precise what3words address and a Google Maps link to where your instructor will meet you on the Friday evening before the start of the course.