Sat, 07 Oct|
Leigh Tor Car Park
Mountain Training Rock Skills Trad Learn To Lead Course
The Rock Skills Trad Learn to Lead course will provide you with the skills you need to participate in lead climbing traditionally (trad) protected climbs.
Session Time & Location
07 Oct 2023, 09:00 – 08 Oct 2023, 17:00
Leigh Tor Car Park, Newton Abbot
About the event
This course is also ideal if you are looking to improve your confidence or refresh your personal trad leading skills with the aim of helping you to become an independent climber and for those planning to complete the Rock Climbing Instructor scheme or progress onto multipitch climbing.
- Choosing venues using guidebooks, mobile devices and the importance of the climbing partnership.
- Safe and assured movement when leading climbs and optimising natural rests for placing gear.
- Ropes and technical equipment for lead climbing, contents of a lead rack and how to carry it, selection and function of gear.
- Technical skills - Selection and placement of suitable gear to protect leader and second, choosing anchors, effective ropework, attaching to multiple anchors, belaying, holding leader and second falls in a controlled environment.
- The impact of climbers at the crag, ethics, access and environmental considerations for climbers.
- Hazards and emergency procedures.
Outcomes of The Course
- To have had lots of experience of outdoors trad climbing throughout the course.
- Be in a stronger position to lead trad routes on rock, using appropriate techniques and safe practice.
- To be confident lead belaying a climber.
- A Learn to Lead Sport course is the next step in the Rock Skills pathway if you haven't already done one.
- Once you are a competent trad leader you may want to consider becoming a Rock Climbing Instructor.
Have seconded a minimum of 20 rock climbs at Very Difficult (VDiff) or above; OR Have led 20 sport climbs (indoors or outdoors).
Completion of Rock Skills Intermediate Course.
Minimum age is 14 years old and there is no maximum.
For more information plesse see our MT Rock Skills Courses page.
Bespoke courses can also be arranged with your own instructor on dates to suit.
This course will be run by a qualified Mountaineering & Climbing Instructor.
Here is a precise what3words address and a Google Maps link to where your instructor will meet you on each day.